In today’s fast-paced world, digital payments have become an integral part of our lives. The Unified Payments Interface (UPI) has revolutionized the way we transact, offering convenience, speed, and security. However, there are times when poor internet connectivity can disrupt your online UPI transactions. What if we told you that you can make UPI payments without internet connectivity? It’s possible, thanks to the *99# service provided by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
*What is the 99# Offline UPI Payment Service?
*99# is a USSD-based mobile banking service introduced by NPCI, which allows users to access UPI without an internet connection. This service is available throughout India and offers the convenience of selecting your preferred language for interactions. The best part? It’s free of charge. As of now, the upper transaction limit is set at Rs. 5,000 per transaction, making it suitable for various daily transactions.
How to Register for Offline UPI Payments?
Before you can use this offline UPI payment method, you’ll need to set it up on your phone. Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting started:
- Open your phone’s dialer and dial *99#.
- Select your preferred language from the 13 options available.
- Enter the IFSC code of your bank.
- If you’re using a smartphone, you’ll see a list of all accounts linked to your phone number. Choose the desired bank account and set up the payment process.
- Enter the last six digits and expiration date of your debit card to complete the verification process.
If all the details check out, your offline UPI payment feature will be activated, and you’re ready to make transactions without an internet connection.
How to Make Offline UPI Payments
Once you’ve set up the offline UPI payment feature, making transactions is a breeze. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your phone’s dialer, dial *99#, and make the call.
- Select option “1” on the screen for “Send Money.”
- Enter the UPI ID, bank account number, or registered phone number you want to use for the transaction.
- Enter the desired payment amount (up to Rs. 5,000) and confirm when prompted.
- The UPI system will ask you to enter your UPI PIN to validate the transaction. Once the correct UPI PIN is entered, the payment will go through smoothly.
It’s important to note that you can disable the offline UPI service by dialing *99# from your registered phone number and following the instructions provided.
When Can Offline UPI Payments Be Done?
According to NPCI, you can initiate fund transfer requests 24/7 using the *99# service, including on holidays. Likewise, funds remitted using this service can be received by the beneficiary around the clock, ensuring flexibility and convenience for users.
In a world where staying connected is essential, the *99# service offers a lifeline for those moments when internet connectivity is unreliable or unavailable. With easy registration and a straightforward transaction process, it’s a valuable tool for anyone who relies on digital payments in their day-to-day life. So, the next time you face poor internet connectivity during a UPI transaction, remember that there’s an offline alternative available at your fingertips.